Malmö Live – Hotel building
Malmö Live is a new concert, congress and hotel complex situated on walking distance from Malmö central station, right between the old city centre and the new modern district of Western harbour.
The hotel building will have a very low energy use, comparable to passive house standard: 38 KWh/m².
A combination of building design, modern energy saving techniques and renewable energy sources will be used to reach the energy target. A number of the techniques are far beyond state of the art.
- A highly insulated building envelope with high thermal inertia, constructed with a heavy frame of pre-casted concrete, will reduce the energy need.
- The energy need for cooling will be reduced with green roofs, automatic solar shields and blinds, windows with low U-values.
- Advanced steering and control systems will reduce energy for ventilation and lighting, adapting the energy use to the presence and motion of people in the building.
- Advanced ventilation system with heat recovery using a FTX- system.
- Locally produced renewable energy sources will be integrated in the building: solar panels for producing hot water, geothermal energy for heating as well as the cooling.
- A system for storing ice will increase the cooling capacity needed on large concert events.
- Food waste will be used for biogas production at local biogas plant. Food grinders will be installed for this purpose.
The hotel guests will be involved through monitoring systems, individual heat and electricity counters, energy efficient machines, sustainable transports and campaigns. Sustainable transports will be promoted using real time displays for bus- and train departures, as well as access to bicycles.